Author Monica Leonelle is the guest in Episode 35 of the author biz
Do you ever wish you could write faster?
Many of us have asked the “how can I write faster” question, but Monica didn’t stop there. She set out to test her writing speed limits.
She started tracking, adjusting and compiling different metrics. She normalized her writing processes to track different variables. Then she tried other ways of writing, and before long she hit the speeds her freelancer colleagues were achieving.
Then, even better for us, she wrote about how she did it in her new book, WRITE BETTER, FASTER: How to Triple Your Writing Speed and Write More Every Day.
So, how did she do it? Monica answers those questions and more in this fascinating 52-minute episode. Here are just a few of the highlights:
- Monica discusses her new book, Write Better, Faster: How To Triple Your Writing Speed and Write More Every Day
- While working as a freelance writer, Monica learned that writing faster meant higher earnings for her business
- She had friends who were freelance writers who could consistently hit 3,000 to 4,000 words per hour
- The value of tracking the details of your writing
- Using the Pomodoro method to normalize writing sessions allowed her to track more details about time spent writing
- Occasionally using dictation allowed her to increase her words per minute and improve her health
- A discussion of the importance of preparation to writing speed
- Monica describes her four-step preparation process
- She shares details of her two-month challenge to teach herself to write faster
- Monica explains her dictation process. She uses Dragon Dictate for dictation and an AT2020 microphone to get the best accuracy.
- The importance of being able to recognize when you’re trying to do too much
- Monica shares three things we can do, beginning today, that will increase our writing speed.
- Write Better, Faster: How To Triple Your Writing Speed and Write More Every Day is the first in a series she’s writing called, “Growth Hacking for Writers.” You can get more information on the series by signing up for her email list at ProseOnFire.com/storytellers
Monica’s Prose on Fire website www.proseonfire.com
Monica’s Guest Post at The Write Life
Monica’s original post on writing faster
Monica’s Growth Hacking for Writers Series
Monica’s Amazon author page.
Creative commons image by jingoba